Saturday, January 7, 2012

Review - Why God Won't Go Away by Allister McGrath

It's been a while since I've done a review. I've been reading so much for school I haven't really had a chance to read for recreation or to write reviews.
This book was quite an interesting read, but a little disheartening to me at the same time. To read about people who claim that everything can be rationally explained and then turn around and give completely irrational arguments to try and support their claims just boggles the mind. There is a lot of information in this book, so to really know what I am talking about, you have to read the book. McGrath does a great job of presenting a kind of history of the "New Atheism" which is not just not believing in God - it's almost an anti-God movement. I have always read in the Bible how we should be prepared for those working against us Christians. I had never really encountered anything along these lines until recent arguments on Facebook with people who claimed they wanted rational argument, but fell apart as soon as I presented what I felt to be a very rational explanation of God. Social media really has brought these ignorant ideas to the forefront. McGrath speaks about this in the book as well, detailing how the New Atheist's movement has grown as well as crashed and burned through social media. All in all, an interesting read if you want to know what we are up against as Christians.

--------------------------------------------
I receive these books free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment