Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires, The Respect He Desperately Needs by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs

This book was first recommended by the pastor at my church who spoke about it in a teaching on the book of Ephesians. When it came out to review, I jumped at the chance. This book builds upon solid biblical principles with respect to how husbands and wives should treat one another. As a wife, I can say that I definitely desire love. I asked my husband about it, and he does want respect. This isn't debatable at all. This book does establish a sound basis to build upon and it is biblically based, so that is a good thing. The only thing that I really didn't like about this book is that Eggerichs seems to make the assumption that women always view things in certain ways and men always view things in other ways. He makes assumptions that are a bit old fashioned about women staying home and taking care of the family while men go out and work. Unfortunately it doesn't always happen that way this day and age. So sometimes the roles are reversed a little and the woman has to work hard all week at work while the man is home with the kids. Love and respect are still relevant in this scenario as I'm sure the man still wants the woman to respect what he is doing at home, but most of the stories he describes are "traditional" husband-wife roles. Again, that's the only problem I had with the book. It's a wonderful read, easy to read and follow, a lot of personal stories that are indeed relevant. The hardest part is putting it into practice. This is a book I'm sure I will pick up and read again numerous times. I will definitely recommend it to friends and family.
_____________________________________________________
I receive these books free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment